We might expect sibling rivalry and conflict to intensify during the pandemic, but many families are seeing just the opposite; siblings are getting along better!
There are several reasons for this phenomenon, and we can see this as one of the “silver linings” of coronavirus.
- Parents are more available and kids are competing for parents’ time that used to be more limited.
- Kids don’t have friends to play with and siblings have become playmates.
Parents can help reduce rivalry by:
- Give each child time alone with the parent.
- More hands-on teaching about the benefits of sharing, taking turns, and valuing each other.
- Give each child a turn to be “in charge” of the others.
- Reflect on the nice things the kids did together each day.