Professional Trainings and Seminars
VIRTUAL MEETING on June 19th 9:00AM-12:00PM (3 hours of training – You will be emailed ZOOM credentials)
Event: THE FAILURE TO LAUNCH; ISSUES IN YOUNG ADULTHOOD
Speaker: Jerome Price
The stage of Leaving Home is one where we see the onset of some of life’s most serious symptoms. Mental health problems such as schizophrenia, depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse disorders and other symptoms often manifest between the ages of 17 and 25. This workshop will focus on how to understand and intervene effectively with young people who we often refer to as “failure to launch” cases. These clients all share one thing in common. Due to their symptoms they fail or come up short in their progression forward in life. They may have trouble finishing high school, be too troubled to go away to college or collapse back once away at college or in other career tracks.
This workshop will share a unique Family Systems conceptualization of these clients and their families. This perspective also leads logically to the clinical steps that are involved in effectively moving these young adults back into forward motion in their lives.
Workshop participants will learn:
- Why young adults develop symptoms at the stage of leaving home
- How to think about these clients in a new way that leads logically to strategies for change
- Assess risk factors for self-harm or danger toward others
- How to see the client’s role in the family and assess the family’s need for coaching or other intervention
- Step-by-step guidelines for developing a clinical plan that leads to effective change